Thursday, June 4, 2015

UT Shining Star awards presented to COBI faculty and staff members

University of Toledo Interim Provost John A. Barrett presented UT's Shining Star award to two College of Business and Innovation personnel this year: Amy O'Donnell, lecturer in department of management, business career sequence, career exploration and career preparation, in February; and Barb Robertson, director, Office of Student Retention and Academic Success, in March.

The Shining Star Award was created to recognize and honor those who continuously demonstrate their commitment to excellence in teaching, challenging and inspiring our students.

In announcing the award to O'Donnell, Barrett said, "Amy goes far beyond just assisting our students in the classroom, helping the students to conduct their searches and to find an internship or a job after graduation, despite the fact that she teaches over 300 students a year."

Concerning the award, O'Donnell said, "I'm flattered, I'm honored, I'm humbled by it because it's really cool to be recognized for something that you're passionate about. Being a faculty member is like the best job ever because of the flexibility that you have in order to have a work/life balance because I can be Amy/mom at home, then when I'm here, I'm here. I'm able to go to a soccer game, even if that means I have to get up at three in the morning to grade papers. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do, once I figured out that I can help others do that,  that was really exciting to me. Doing it here in the College of Business and Innovation, I never had so much support and so many resources. I really believe the College of Business and Innovation goes the extra mile for all of its students and for the employers who recruit our students. Knowing that I have that kind of support makes me want to continue to give my best to the students, to identify the resources that they need to stay current in my field so that they can take advantage of all of those resources and be the most marketable candidates for the employers who are out there who need our students."


In announcing the award to Robertson, Barrett said:  "Robertson's central focus can be summarized in two words: student centeredness. She's passionate about meeting with students, always willing to meet with them, she makes sure they have academic plans of study, she provides emotional support where appropriate, academic support, advice…she's just there for the students in whatever sense they need. It doesn't matter if it's in her job description or not, deep down she's just committed to provide the best experience possible for the students, and that's why I selected her. Thank you for all you're doing. You're making a huge difference in our students' lives and success, and are a credit to the College of Business and innovation."

Concerning the award, Robertson said, "The absolutely only thing you can say is, 'Wow, this is so cool.'  No matter how many years you're here, no matter how long you do this, to know someone absolutely appreciates what you do is why we do what we do.  In the College of Business, I think our entire college goes the extra mile.  I came here feeling that way, but it's all around us.  I think everyone truly cares, and it makes a difference. You have to take the time, because none of us would be here if it weren't for students."

No comments:

Post a Comment